[j-nsp] J-series software EOL

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Mar 20 16:45:46 EDT 2009

What's the story behind the EoL'ing of older J-series software? I see
that as of 9.4R1 the only software available is JUNOS-ES, which only
runs on the new model J-series. This seems like a premature end of
software development date, given the EOL timeline that was published:

http://www.juniper.net/support/eol/jseries_hw.html

For example, the J2300 EOL was announced March 08, it was sold until
September 08, it is supportable until September 2013, but the new
software development has ended as of Feb 09? Really? Nobody who bought
these boxes 5 months before they stopped making software for them is a
little pissed?

I was trying to use J-series boxes as route reflectors, but even as of
9.3R2 the old classic "extremely slow pfe install that blocks routing
updates" bug which was fixed in other platforms in 8.5 is still there.
Was hoping 9.4 might have a fix, but apparently it won't even exist.