[j-nsp] DOS attack?

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Sun May 17 05:19:56 EDT 2009

Hi Matthias,

 > I wonder now, which is the event, that triggered this behavious? The
 > numer of ssh-logins at that time or this zbexpected EOF?

I would with good deal of assurance conclude that the cause were
ssh-login attack which apparently starved the poor box to it's memory
limits.

When even your kernel spins a panic message on the low of memory due to
such attack control plane can exhibit quite unexpected behavior. In my
opinion end-of-frame BGP message is just a consequence of this.

The advice would be to:

* open a case with jtac to find out why subsequent ssh-logins cause a
memory leak

* reduce to very max rate-limiting for the ssh logins

Cheers,
R.