[j-nsp] DOS attack?

Matthias Gelbhardt matthias at commy.de
Wed May 20 20:15:43 EDT 2009

Hi!

I may open a JTAC case, when I understand for which problem I should
open one.

The following has happened:

The system (J6350) is running under 9.3R2.8, so we decided to update
to 9.4R2.8. That was a desaster, and I hope you can help also in this
matter. After upgrading the systems, both thought they are VRRP
master. The problem is obvious, two sstems thinking to be the same
appliance. Was there a change in VRRP configuration?

Because this was not working, we made a rollback. Now we have the same
memory problems again. Starting the shell, bam Low memory, show bgp
summary, los memory. Each event has consequences: disabling a BGP
session.

The system has 1 GB of DRAM. What are the memory intensive processes?
The BGP sessions? We have a J6350 at the AMS-IX where are a lot more
BGP sessions. The VRRP processes? The rpd process has a significant
higher memory consumption than on the AMS-IX router for example.

Before opening a JTAC ticket, you may be saying "get 1 GB of memory,
your problems will disappear".

Regards,

Matthias