[j-nsp] Juniper routers as NTP Server

Sean Clarke sean at clarke-3.demon.nl
Fri Nov 6 06:27:49 EST 2009

It was the case that you can use the Juniper as an NTP server, however
it needed to peer with a Stratum 1 NTP peer to be usable.
I'm not 100% sure that restriction is still in place

Juniper Day 1, Book 2 guide shows you how .. it would say something like
this

NTP Server mode
If you want to use your device as an NTP server, you first need to
synchronize to an NTP clock on
the network.  The device will then work as a clock source for all other
devices on the network with
a Stratum value one more than the configured NTP server.

username at Ganymede> show ntp associations
jitter

*172.26.27.3     203.26.24.6      3 u   41   64    3    0.213   -0.071
0.004
+192.27.0.44     172.26.27.3      4 -   27   64    1    1.069    0.081
0.006

The 192.27.0.44 remote source is another Juniper device that took the
Stratum 3 clock from
172.26.27.3 and passed this on as Stratum 4 to this device.

You must also remember to configure the loopback interface with the
default host address.

username at Ganymede# set interface lo0 unit 0 family inet address 127.0.0.1