[j-nsp] VPLS Multi-homing primary site link failure failover

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Mon Nov 9 08:45:18 EST 2009

Sean says:
> Hi Clarke .. what's the config ? Are you using irb interfaces ?
> If no irb, and the PE1 is directly connected to CE1, on interface down
> the VPLS primary should switchover.
>
> cheers
> Sean

Sean,

Yes, I am using irb interfaces.  Since they are not listed under the
"site" stanza, I did not think the irb would make any difference.
Obviously, I was mistaken.

Is there any way to force the failover mechanism to work when configured
for irb?  Or is there a workaround to consider?

I am trying to terminate the "L3 side" of the VPLS instance with VRRP
(defined in a VRF instance that include the same irb) on the MX routers
that are configured to support a VPLS multihomed site.  Can I still do
this, or does the irb have to be on a separate physical MX router?

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary
Jones Hall (Room 18)
Williamsburg VA 23187