[j-nsp] Tail vs RED dropped packet counter

Abel Alejandro aalejandro at worldnetpr.com
Wed Nov 11 09:41:35 EST 2009

Hello,

I have a m10i and a SRX 210 both running JunOS 9.6. The CoS
configuration is basically the same with just differences on the
interface names.
There are no drop profiles configured. However when I run the command
"show interfaces queue <intfname> egress" on the m10i I see the RED
dropped packet counter incrementing and the Tail counter at 0. The SRX
210 is just the other way around the Tail drop counter is incrementing
and the RED drop packet is at 0. Is this because of a hardware
difference ?

Abel.