[j-nsp] Getting configuration diffs via NETCONF

Phil Shafer phil at juniper.net
Mon Nov 16 13:42:59 EST 2009

Ross Vandegrift writes:
>Damn, that'd have been a really great feature.  I need to record
>deltas of automated changes for approval by a human in a change
>control application.

I'm not recommending this but....

I've seen folks use events to trigger event policies that issue the
commands you need.  The main script can then retrieve the saved
file from the event policy.  It's an odd code path, but until there's
a "compare" or "patch" attribute (or a "render='true'" option)
there's no other viable option.

>Wow, that's pretty surprising.  Though I guess JUNOS's move to XML
>could've happened before the prevalence of stylesheets.

Stylesheets (currently) need the full xml document and we
don't want to buffer it (size and delay), so we went a
different way.

Thanks,
 Phil