[j-nsp] ASR1002 Comparitive

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Wed Nov 18 02:40:55 EST 2009

On Nov 18, 2009, at 2:38 PM, Ben Steele wrote:

> any attack > 100Mbs is going to be dropped(tail-drop/rate-limit whatever method the ISP implements) before it even makes it to the poor software-based router and given the almost 300Mbs @ 64-byte spec I don't think it would have a problem with it, usual CoPP applying.

You're assuming the attack is 'inbound' - often, this isn't the case.

;>

I've also seen software-based routers absolutely crushed by the sheer number of flows engendered by DNS amplification attacks, when an open recursor is soutbhound of said software-based router and the miscreants are bouncing an attack through it.

    Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

                        -- H.L. Mencken