[j-nsp] ASR1002 Comparitive

Steve Steiner ntwrkguru at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 09:04:08 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Mark Tinka <mtinka at globaltransit.net>wrote:

> On Wednesday 18 November 2009 11:58:53 am Bill Blackford
> wrote:
>
> > I believe the M7i is the closest one 2 one comparison.
> > The performance numbers are almost exact and depending on
> > your supplier should be competitively priced with an
> > ASR1002.
>
> This is where/when I think Juniper need to re-invent the
> M7i/M10i. Even with the new Enhanced CFEB, the ASR1000's
> offer way more value, e.g., they can talk 10Gbps Ethernet or
> STM-64/OC-192, they can talk STM-16/OC-48, now support a
> 20Gbps centralized forwarding plane, support a wide range of
> line rate Gig-E line cards, e.t.c.

The trend is more and more towards Ethernet.  Why would one need/want to
dump an STM64 into an M7i or equivalent Cisco?  If one were to need a large
pipe filtering device (which I assume is what you are eluding to), I would
assume that Juniper's response will be (will, as in future) an SRX with
10GE/STM64 SFP+/XFP optics.

My point is that the M7i/M10i are old and while they still have a play in
certain applications, there are newer boxes  better suited to high
throughput, processor intensive tasks.

Back to the OP, I would never bring up a software-based router in such a
scenario as you described.