[j-nsp] Design questions regarding MX960<->Cisco network

Sebastian Wiesinger juniper-nsp at ml.karotte.org
Tue Nov 24 10:25:26 EST 2009

Hello,

I'm testing a MX960 and coming from a Cisco background I'm having a
few problems/design questions regarding integration with the Cisco
network.

I have the following setup:

    +---------[MX960]---------+
    |                         |
    |Trunk     MSTP      Trunk|
    |                         |
 [Cisco]-------------------[Cisco]
              Trunk

One MX960 is connected to two Cisco switches which have VLAN trunk ports
towards the MX. The Ciscos speak MSTP on all trunk ports.

What I need from the MX:

1. I need to provide L3 routing for a few of the VLANs I get from the
   Ciscos.

2. I need to be able to speak OSPF/BGP/MPLS over other VLANs.

3. I need to transport the traffic from some VLANs via VPLS to another
   router.

4. Additionally the MX must participate in the MSTP domain on both
   trunks so that L2 failover via spanning-tree works for points 1-3.

So which options do I have?

I looked at bridge-domains where I would be able to do 1+2+4, but not
VPLS (or I didn't get how).

I also looked at "interface-mode trunk" as this seems the right way to
do the L2 handling but I don't know how that mixes with "encapsulation
flexible-ethernet-services" which I would like to use for VPLS.

Any ideas/suggestions how to proceed would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Sebastian

--
New GPG Key: 0x93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A  9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
Old GPG Key-ID: 0x76B79F20 (0x1B6034F476B79F20)