[j-nsp] EX Routing Throughput

Cord MacLeod cordmacleod at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 19:00:54 EDT 2009

On Oct 3, 2009, at 9:05 AM, Markus Groß wrote:

> some weeks ago I asked our sales if there are any news. He told me,
> that
> you need a license for IPv6 for the ex- as well as for the m-series.
> So
> I assume the situation hasn't changed yet.
>
> I hope Juniper will rethink this strategy. We would love to use our
> ex-series switches to deploy IPv6 to our customers, but this step
> would almost double the costs for each switch.
>
> I played a little bit in our lab and got a message that an additional
> license is needed when I actiated ospf v2. When I did the same stuff
> (added IPv6 addresses and configured route advertisement)
> with static routes, no warning appeared. I asked our sales, if this
> means that no license is required but he negated that.

I have ex4200's in several 6-10 switch virtual chassis rings.  They
are running ISIS/BGP up to M series routes and BGP to my anycast
machines.  After 9.3R3, the code has been pretty stable.  As of 9.3R4,
I've had no issues at all.  The throughput as stated previous seems to
be 32Gb/s full duplex between the ASICs, although Juniper claims 128Gb/
s through the virtual chassis links.

Anyway, as far as IPv6....

{master:0}
xxx at xxx> show system license
License usage:
                                  Licenses     Licenses    Licenses
Expiry
   Feature name                       used    installed      needed
   bgp                                   1            1           0
permanent
   isis                                  1            1           0
permanent
   ospf3                                 0            1           0
permanent
   ripng                                 0            1           0
permanent

Licenses installed:
   License identifier: xxx
   License version: 2
   Valid for device: xxx
   Features:
     hurricane-routing - Licensed routing protocols in hurricane
       permanent

   License identifier: xxx
   License version: 2
   Valid for device: xxx
   Features:
     hurricane-routing - Licensed routing protocols in hurricane
       permanent

In short, licenses are needed for those protocols.  Also note, in a
virtual chassis being that there are 2 routing engines, you'll need 2
licenses per virtual chassis regardless of size.

Now one thing I feel compelled to add, because I ran into it the other
day, is that the ex DOES have IPv6 firewall filter support, although
it seems hidden.

xxx at xxx# edit firewall family inet?
Possible completions:
 > inet                 Protocol family IPv4 for firewall filter
{master:0}[edit]

xxx at xxx# edit firewall family inet6 ?
Possible completions:
   <[Enter]>            Execute this command
 > filter               Define an IPv6 firewall filter
 > service-filter       One or more IPv6 service filters
   |                    Pipe through a command
{master:0}[edit]