[j-nsp] Routing issues with SRX210

Darrell Root darrellroot at mac.com
Wed Oct 7 22:23:30 EDT 2009

Tim Eberhard wrote:

>  Basically what happens is the ADSL connection seems to drop out;
> yet I am still able to ping the ISP gateway address.
>
>  If I run "restart routing" on the SRX it fixes the problem, but the
> problem comes back every week or so.

I ran into a problem which sounds somewhat similar with OSPF on a
chassis SRX.  OSPF would form
a neighbor relationship fine, but every couple days we'd get an OSPF
reset with "too many retransmissions".
Then OSPF would reform it's neighbor relationship and work again for
another random period of time before
resetting again.

It turned out that we had not done this:

set security zones security-zone XXXX host-inbound-traffic protocols
ospf

After realizing that we were surprised that the OSPF neighbor
relationship formed at all.  But it did.  It was just
unstable.

What I think was happening was that we'd successfully connect outbound
via ospf, and the stateful firewall
would allow the return traffic back.  But periodically the neighbor
router would need to send us an update
and that wouldn't get counted as "return traffic".  So the firewall
filter would reject it inbound.  Periodically
that would result in a "too many retransmissions" and a neighbor reset.

Assuming you have a similar cause, the trick is to figure out what
host-inbound-traffic protocol/service
to allow to keep your adsl up.

Darrell Root