[j-nsp] path-mtu-discovery

Harry Reynolds harry at juniper.net
Thu Oct 8 12:40:52 EDT 2009

You are correct. Its called mss (max segment size) in the show system connections, and it does not include tcp/ip OH. Note that we have some tcp noop and time-stamp options, so the tcp header tends to be > 20 bytes.

When pmtu is off you tend to see a mss of ~ 530 for off net, else it's the smallest value discovered in that direction. IIRC, bgp pmtu is off by default and has to be enabled. The default internet PMTU (internet-options path-mtu-discovery) is enabled by default. Docs indicated otherwise, and doc pr 75430 was opened to get that corrected.

Also, once we discover a reduced pmtu we do not ramp back up. The connection has to be cleared for ~7 minutes to completely age out previous pmtu state, and then we can discover a larger pmtu if things have changed.

HTHs