[j-nsp] Changing advertised BGP metric based on condition

Kevin Wormington kworm at sofnet.com
Tue Oct 13 20:46:41 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to JunOS running 9.6 on M7i gear.  I have two M7i's that
are each connected to one particular peer (same AS) that doesn't support
BFD for BGP or BFD for routes and the links also go through an
intermediate layer 2 switch (not ours; on the upstream side) so a fast
failover doesn't work, ie. you are looking at hold-time on a failure.
The M7i's are also connected to each other of course via IBGP and OSPF.

I am wondering if it's possible that upon detection of a link
failure/BGP failure on one M7i to have the other M7i be able to change
the metric on the routes it's advertising to that particular upstream to
cause their network to prefer the route that is up?

I think something like this could be done with an event script, but I
thought I would ask the experts to see if there is something easier that
I'm overlooking?

Thanks,

Kevin