[j-nsp] Juniper Netflow

Chris Kawchuk juniperdude at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 08:27:06 EDT 2009

Hi There,

sampling {
    input {
        family inet {
            rate 1;
            run-length 1;
            max-packets-per-second 65535;
        }

This part has me worried. It says, Sample every packet, and the next
packet too. You might want to try this instead for sakes of clairity:

sampling {
    input {
        family inet {
            rate 10;
            run-length 9;
            max-packets-per-second 65535;
        }

This says "Sample every 10 packets, and the next 9 after it" (meaning
100%) of the packets).

Also:

            max-packets-per-second 65535;

You may be running into (1) A limitation of pps, or (2) if you're
doing RE-Based netflow sampling, there is a limit of 7000 packets per
second (in order not to overflow the internal traffic/conuncations
pathways between the DPC card and the RE on the MX).

See http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos94/swconfig-policy/configuring-traffic-sampling.html

Regards,

- Chris.
  (Heh, it's nice to see someone using my template!) =)