[j-nsp] junos PAP confusion

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Thu Sep 3 19:43:58 EDT 2009

PAP configuration on JUNOS, or at least its documentation, seems very
confusing.

This router is a PPPoE client sitting on a regular (around here,
anyway) DSL connection. It's a J2320 running 9.6R1.13.

I never want to send PAP requests. I only want to respond to PAP
requests from the other end of a PPP link. The two pieces of
information I have to configure are a username and a password.

This seems to be the state of things:

pap {
     default-pap-password "some secret";
     local-name "some username";
     local-password "nother secret, wtf";
     passive;
}

Why do I need to define two passwords? I need to define both default-
pap-password and local-password, or I can't commit anything.

The documentation suggests that the local-name is only used when
originating PAP requests. I don't want to originate any PAP requests.
However, there's no other place to configure a username that I can see.

Needless to say it doesn't work :-)

Any clues?