[j-nsp] MPLS Layer 2 backaul on EX/MX

Jerzy Pawlus Jerzy.Pawlus at cyf-kr.edu.pl
Wed Sep 16 02:51:00 EDT 2009

Hi,

> > I have a number of EX series switches carrying vlans back to a central MX
> > 480.
> >
> > I have remote customers running bgp with their sessions terminating on the
> > MX. Currently the whole system operates in layer two.
> >
> > I would like to move to a partial mesh deployment and use MPLS-CCC to carry
> > the EX customer traffic back to the MX.
> >
> > The problem is, at the MX interface the traffic will be inside the tunnel.

>  I spoke with Jay off-list about this, and thought there might be a clever
> way of doing this with a logical-tunnel, with the MPLS-CCC tunnel ending on
> a logical tunnel interface, then hooking that into a regular logical
> interface with an inet address for BGP peering.

I think I have tried something like this. I don't use it though. I still
do not have EX'es.
You should have an L3 card on MX and you must sacrifice a 10GE port for
tunneling or use an internal tunnel port on card with 1GE interfaces.

Than try something like this:

lt-4/3/0 {
    description "tunnel interface";
    unit 3 {
        description "PeterP tunnel L2";
        encapsulation vlan-ccc;
        vlan-id 16;
        peer-unit 4;
    }
    unit 4 {
        description "PeterP tunnel L3";
        encapsulation vlan;
        vlan-id 16;
        peer-unit 3;
        family inet {
            address 195.150.0.129/30;
        }
    }

L2V-c480pd-c480l {
    instance-type l2vpn;
    interface lt-4/3/0.3;
    route-distinguisher 195.150.0.243:2000;
    vrf-import L2V-pp-import;
    vrf-export L2V-pp-export;
    protocols {
        l2vpn {
            encapsulation-type ethernet-vlan;
            site c480pd {
                site-identifier 1;
                interface lt-4/3/0.3 {
                    remote-site-id 2;
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

policy-options policy-statement L2V-pp-export
term def {
    then {
        community add L2V-pp;
        accept;