[j-nsp] reliable static routing/ip tracking

matthew wyath mwyath at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 10:42:59 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I wonder if it is possible to do static routing based on the availability of
an IP. Let's say that I am connected by Ethernet (through a modem) link to
my upstream provider.
I am not using any dynamic routing protocol with my ISP (so I can't use any
generated route) ...I can't use BFD either. I want to put a default static
route through my upstream provider but I want that route to be valid only
and only if a specific IP address is reachable in the Internet (by echo
request). Is it possible on Juniper J series routers?

ps. something like we have on Cisco (tracking).

cheers,
m.w