[j-nsp] reliable static routing/ip tracking

Stefan Fouant sfouant at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 12:55:38 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:42 AM, matthew wyath <mwyath at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I wonder if it is possible to do static routing based on the availability
> of
> an IP. Let's say that I am connected by Ethernet (through a modem) link to
> my upstream provider.
> I am not using any dynamic routing protocol with my ISP (so I can't use any
> generated route) ...I can't use BFD either. I want to put a default static
> route through my upstream provider but I want that route to be valid only
> and only if a specific IP address is reachable in the Internet (by echo
> request). Is it possible on Juniper J series routers?
>
> ps. something like we have on Cisco (tracking).

Unfortunately, Juniper still doesn't have IP tracking capability.  You've
ruled out BFD as a viable option, which means the only way I think you could
accomplish this is with Event Policy.  With an Event Policy you could
trigger the router to periodically generate a ping to a given destination,
and remote the static route in the even that the ping fails.  Take a look at
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos95/swconfig-automation/swconfig-automation.pdffor
more information.

--
Stefan Fouant