[j-nsp] Miercom Competitive Performance Testing Results: Cisco ASR9000 vs Juniper MX960

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Sep 24 05:13:41 EDT 2009

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Patrik Olsson wrote:
> I dont know when there is a an official response, but the report seems very
> Cisco friendly...
> I have performed very tough tests on the MX, putting both multicast and QoS
> to the test and I have seen none of the problems Miercom claims they see...

Have you tested MX also during RIB or FIB changes?  I'd like to use
this as a soapbox.  On Juniper platforms, when a next-hop changes,
this results in first DELETE and then (maybe much later) ADD
operations in FIB.  We have noticed that when BGP next-hop changes for
300K prefixes, this has led to up to 7 minutes of packet loss due to a
lack of FIB entry for a destination. This was seen on T-series, but MX
has the same architectural limitations.  This slowness was introduced
sometime in JunOS 8.x. And this is "working as designed" and "no way
to speed it up".

Hopefully at some point someone will do performance testing in these
kind of scenarios as well; I don't recall seeing such a test myself.