[j-nsp] Experience with J series

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Sat Sep 26 07:09:22 EDT 2009

2009/9/24 Chris Kawchuk <juniperdude at gmail.com>

Yep. 30 ACL's with no issues (assuming straightforward things). Full BGP
> Tables, OSPF area 0.0.0.0 inside, QoS, IPSEC.

I'd warn you guys of running peers with full BGP on J series with 1 Gig of
RAM. It was not a problem till 9.4. But since 9.4 JUNOS for J-series is flow
based only thus fwwd daemon preallocates plenty of memory for stateful
sessions tracking just like ScreenOS does. Even if you switch it to packet
context.

Here is some output from a J2350 runiing 9.6 in a lab enviroment.

=================
pash at J2350> show system processes extensive
[...]
  PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU COMMAND
   11 root          1 171   52     0K    12K RUN    1069.4 95.80% idle
  778 root          1  96    0   482M   482M select  71.0H  0.98% fwdd
[...]

482MB ! 9.5R1 eats even a bit more (some 60 megs plus).

I myself tried to run 2 peers with fullview on J2320 JUNOS 9.4/9.5 with 1
Gig and bumped into BGP session dropping with LowMem event.

Moreover keep in mind that J2320/2350 are less valuable than SRX240 in
price/performace terms.

--
Regards,
Pavel