[j-nsp] Accuracy of interface stats

Stefan Fouant sfouant at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 18:03:29 EDT 2009

Thanks Richard for the additional info.  I don't think I said 64 bytes
was the minimum IP packet size, rather I just chose that number
arbitrarily so I could do some rough comparisons, but I could see how
someone might surmise that I was referring to that as the minimum IP
size.  I totally forgot about the IFG however, but attribute that to
not working in a qualification lab since the late 90's... I'm bound to
be a little rusty.  Regardless, the addition of the IFG does little to
help the situation, and actually again means that PoS throughput is
actually better with smaller size packets than Ethernet at comparable
speeds.  Of course, as you mention, the exact opposite is true as the
frame size increases... Now of course if we are talking about 10GbE
over SONET using 10 Gig WAN PHY, that's a totally different story...

--
Stefan Fouant