[j-nsp] static load-balancing route in a routing-instance

Jens Brenner jjbrennzz at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 7 06:45:24 EDT 2010

Hello,

I'm trying to build a flow-based load-balancing static route in a forwarding
routing-instance with JunOS 9.3R4.4 on a M10i.

I've tried just adding multiple next-hops to the route, but that
doesn't work since
there's no "set forwarding-options export" in the routing-instance tree to make
JunOS export all the next-hops into the PFE. There is however a
set forwarding-options load-balance with the 3 parameters indexed-next-hop,
per-flow and per-prefix.

Would the following config excerpt do what I want?
routing-instances {
  test {
      instance-type forwarding;
      routing-options {
          static {
              route 0.0.0.0/0 next-hop [ 1.2.3.1 1.2.3.2 1.2.3.3 ];
          }
      }
      forwarding-options {
          load-balance {
              indexed-next-hop;
              per-flow {
                  hash-seed;
              }
          }
      }
  }
}

The JunOS docs say I should be able to configure the per-flow
hash-seed as a number but the cli seems to disagree

 "Beginning with JUNOS Release 9.3, you can enable router-specific
  load balancing by configuring a unique, load balance hash value for
  each PFE slot. [...]
  To enable per-flow load balancing, you must include the hash-seed
  number statement. The range that you can configure is 0 through
  65,535. 0 is the default value; if no hash seed is configured, the
  elected forwarding next hop would be the same as in previous
  releases."

jb at cf2-re0# set routing-instances test forwarding-options load-balance
per-flow hash-seed 123

                   ^
syntax error.

Thanks in advance, Jens