[j-nsp] In-service security upgrade ?

Alexandre Snarskii snar at snar.spb.ru
Thu Apr 8 12:07:51 EDT 2010

Hi!

Yesterday there were some security-related technical bulletins
published by Juniper. Well, I like that some bugs were fixed,
but I personally hate the idea that I have to reboot routers and
switches to fix bug in ntpd (for example).

That's why this question arises: did anyone tried the "hard way"
of upgrading one device, taking fixed ntpd (or whatever) from it
and distributing it over all other devices without having to reboot
them ? Or software signatures will prevent code compiled for some
specific version to run on other version ? Even in "minor version
change" cases like 9.3S<smth> code vs. 9.3R<smth> kernel ?