[j-nsp] AC power distribution for the MX

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Mon Apr 19 16:22:58 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

Juniper docs claim this about the power system for an MX480: "Each
inlet requires a dedicated AC power feed and a dedicated 15 A (250
VAC) circuit breaker."  This seems silly - so long as we're
careful not to overload any circuits and pull from diverse panels, why
would they care?

Does Juniper have a good reason to require this, or are they just
trying to prevent people from plugging all four PEMs into the same
circuit and thinking that they are redundant?  Any suggestions for
good AC distribution gear?  APC AP9570 looks like what I'd use if left
to my own.

Thanks,
Ross