[j-nsp] equal-cost multipath using two DS3s

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Apr 19 17:29:17 EDT 2010

I have an M10i connected to an M7i at a remote location using two DS3s.
Attempts thus far to get traffic to share both links relatively evenly
have not gone well.  All of the traffic will typically use only one of
the links, so it gets saturated while the second like is barely even
touched.  JTAC suggested per-packet load-sharing, however I
would like to avoid that because of the possibility of packets arriving
out of order which could make latency/jitter-sensitive applications (IP
video conferencing, etc) unhappy.  JTAC later suggested that per-packet
load-sharing in JUNOS parlance doesn't necessarily mean per-packet load-
sharing (naturally :)  ).  Multilink bundles do not appear to be an option
without link services PICs, and even at that, they don't seem to be built
to work with traffic levels greater than a few T1/E1s.

Both routers are running JUNOS 8.5R4.3.

That being the case, if anyone has had to deal with a situation like this,
I'd be interested in hearing how you addressed it.

jms