[j-nsp] Flow accounting on an M7i

Andy M. andy at ctdam.com
Wed Aug 18 11:42:41 EDT 2010

I'm trying to enable flow accounting on one of our M7is.  JunOS
version is 9.1R8.  No matter what I do, I can't get a flow to export.
I'd appreciate any input to obvious errors, or tips on other things to
try.  I've also tried removing sampling from the interface and doing
it with a firewall rule.

Currently, it's configured as follows:

andy at er01> show configuration forwarding-options
sampling {
     input {
         family inet {
             rate 10000;
         }
     }
     output {
         cflowd X.X.X.X {
             port 2100;
             version 5;
             no-local-dump;
             autonomous-system-type origin;
         }
         interface sp-1/2/0 {
             source-address X.X.X.X;  # The IP of an interface that
can reach the Netflow server
         }
     }
}

andy at er01> show configuration interfaces sp-1/2/0
unit 0 {
     family inet {
         address 10.0.1.1/32 {
             destination 10.0.1.2;
         }
     }
}

andy at er01> show configuration interfaces ge-0/0/0 unit 3
vlan-id 1;
family inet {
     sampling {
         input;
     }
     address X.X.X.X/30 {
         preferred;
     }
}

When I enable it, for a few minutes nothing seems to happen.  Then I
can see memory usage increase to the point there is no free memory on
the ASP, then it begins to give errors.  It never tries to export the
flow:

andy at er01> show services accounting memory
Service Accounting interface: sp-1/2/0, Local interface index: 150
Service name: (default sampling)
Interface state: Accounting
   Memory utilization
     Allocation count: 695912, Free count: 348290, Maximum allocated: 0
     Allocations per second: 0, Frees per second: 0
     Total memory used (in bytes): 211804592, Total memory free (in
bytes): 7400

andy at er01> show services accounting errors
Service Accounting interface: sp-1/2/0, Local interface index: 150
Service name: (default sampling)
Interface state: Accounting
   Error information
     Packets dropped (no memory): 8262, Packets dropped (not IP): 0
     Packets dropped (not IPv4): 0, Packets dropped (header too
small): 0
     Memory allocation failures: 0, Memory free failures: 0
     Memory free list failures: 356435
     Memory warning: Yes, Memory overload: No, PPS overload: No, BPS
overload: No

andy at er01> show services accounting flow
Service Accounting interface: sp-1/2/0, Local interface index: 150
Service name: (default sampling)
Interface state: Accounting
   Flow information
     Flow packets: 0, Flow bytes: 0
     Flow packets 10-second rate: 0, Flow bytes 10-second rate: 0
     Active flows: 0, Total flows: 0
     Flows exported: 0, Flows packets exported: 0
     Flows inactive timed out: 0, Flows active timed out: 0

Here's the installed PIC details.  I've tried bringing it up/down as
well, with the same behavior.

andy at er01> show chassis pic fpc-slot 1 pic-slot 2
FPC slot 1, PIC slot 2 information:
   Type                             ASP - Integrated (Layer-2-3)
   State                            Online
   PIC version                  1.7
   CPU load average               0 percent
   Interrupt load average         0 percent
   Total DRAM size              256 MB
   Memory buffer utilization      0 percent
   Memory heap utilization       99 percent
   Uptime			 14 hours, 49 seconds