[j-nsp] QoS on Trio Cards (aggregate weighting on if-set level)

Marlon Duksa mduksa at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 11:41:04 EDT 2010

Does anyone know how to configure weighting on Trio cards on the if-set
level?

For example we have a bunch of users, each on its own VLAN.  Each user has a
few FCs. We want to weighted scheduling of  the best-effort FC at the
interface set level (outer vlan) but based on the aggregate rates. For
example we want all best-effort traffic (from all customers) that arrives to
sub-intf level scheduler to be weighted in ratio X:1 between two sets of
customers.

It looks like that Trio cards can do this on a per user (vlan level), with
the excess-bw command, but not on an aggregate level  (outer vlan level).

To illustrate this example:
We have 100 customers of CLASS1. Each customer is sending 5M of traffic.
Total = 500M
We have 30 customers of CLASS2. Each customer is sending  5M of traffic.
Total = 150M
========
The desired weighting at the aggregate level (if-set) is CLASS1 : CLASS2 =
1:5

The interface-set shaper is limited to 100Mbps.
==========
If we do aggregate calculations (this is what we want), at our interface-set
we would ideally get:

1(weight) * 100 (if-set shaper limit) / 6 (sum of weights) =   16.6M of
CLASS 1 traffic
5*100/6=    83.4M of CLASS 2 traffic

Instead Trio cards are doing this weighting per each customer VLAN.

So we get on the egress this:

40M of CLASS 1 traffic
60M of class 2 traffic.

This is very different than what we want. What this does is to achieve the
1:5 weighting between individual customers
CLASS 1 cusotmer gets 0.4M of bandwidth
CLASS 2 customer gets 2M of bandwidth.
But because we have much more customers of CLASS 1 type, the aggregate
results are very skewed.

Any solution for this?

Thanks,
Marlon