[j-nsp] radius authentication

snort bsd snortbsd at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 29 18:27:38 EDT 2010

Hi, all:

I am trying to understand the radius authentication process supported by Juniper
routers. on JNCIS book:

[quote]A user supplies a name of Scott to the remote authentication server,
which accepts the request. However, Scott is not a current username in the local
password database. In this situation, the router maps Scott to the default
username of "remote".[/quote]

[quote]In short, the remote server may authenticate a user with the name of
Sally but inform the router that Sally should be mapped to the local name of
Beth for purposes of assigning rights and privileges on the router.[/quote]

so I have an user named "admin" on juniper routers. then all of other users who
registered in radius server must be mapped to this local user of "admin"?

does this local user "admin" have to be registered with radius server too?

is the following configuration (file "users") for radius server good enough?

test   Auth-Type := Local
        Cleartext-Password := "1234567890",
        Juniper-Local-User-Name = "admin"