[j-nsp] 10.3 on MX960 with MPC only?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Aug 30 19:50:42 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 08:01:50AM -0700, Derick Winkworth wrote:
> In fact, yes!  10.3 is primarily a JUNOS cleanup effort.  There should
> be close to nothing in the release notes compared to previous
> releases.
>
> I believe they intend to do this with another release in the near
> future.  Like 10.5?

The story I've heard is that they put the brakes on almost all new
feature development for 10.3 and I think 10.4, to give them a chance to
get their systest act together. I'm not sure if halting feature
development (and switching to a goofy quarterly date-based release
system :P) is really the right way to fix things, but at least they're
trying to do something to address the very serious issue of the
disasterously buggy code they've been churning out lately, so at least
that's something. :)

> I think they are really, really wanting to have another golden release
> similar to 8.5.  Perhaps Richard's stalled route issue will be
> cleared?

Don't get your hopes up, I don't think there has been any significant
progress made on the route stall issue. As far as I can tell it appears
to be a long-standing issue in rpd that Juniper just doesn't have the
ability or will to fix (at least not at the rate they're losing rpd
developers).

The root of the issue seems to be that exchanging large numbers of
routes over BGP will starve something within rpd, to the point that new
routes cannot be installed to the FIB, and in some cases the box won't
even start advertising any routes outbound,  while it is still receiving
new BGP routes. For MX's our best solution was to roll out a layer of
dedicated route reflector boxes to replace our current IBGP core mesh,
thus hiding most of the inactive paths from the real routers (e.g.
bringing it down from 3-4 million paths over ~30 sessions to 330k * 2
paths from 2 sessions). EX is still pretty bad though, you can stall it
for 20 minutes with less than a million paths, which is a real problem
when you have a customer aggregation router which won't advertise
customer prefixes for 20 minutes following rpd restart.

I'm really wondering how things are coming with SMP-capable JUNOS. I
tried booting a jinstall64 olive, and while the image isindeed using an
amd64 kernel it STILL doesn't have SMP enabled. Considering they briefly
slipped in a line about upcoming Core2 Duo/Quad RE's into some recent
release notes, I really hope they're gonna have this working soon. :)