[j-nsp] how to measure traffic between ASs from an M7i box

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Dec 7 13:31:46 EST 2010

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010, Correa Adolfo wrote:

> Hi I want to measure the traffic between my own AS and a remote (not
> directly connected) AS directly from an M7i box, how would it increase
> CPU usage?

You could export Netflow data from your M7i to a device that can analyze
the data to get what you want.  If you want AS data, the router that
export the data also needs to have a BGP view of at least the routes you
want to see.

How the netflow data export is configured on your depends in part on what
version of JUNOS you run on your M7i.

As for how much it would increase CPU usage, it's difficult to give an
exact answer, because so many variables can affect the performance of your
network.  Traffic levels, types of traffic, routing protocols in use,
interface types and configurations, the use of any PICs that can
offload tasks like Netflow data export from the CPU, and other features
(not an all-inclusive list) all can have an impact on this.

jms