[j-nsp] l2tp sessions on MX

Jonas Frey (Probe Networks) jf at probe-networks.de
Tue Dec 14 11:53:22 EST 2010

I used the L2TP/LNS features with the ASM Pic w/M7i.
All i can say is its useless. It has so many feature limitations and
bugs its really not worth using it (one major one beeing not able to do
accouting correctly, timed saving of traffic stats and alike). At that
time i couldnt even find someone else using the box for L2TP/LNS who
might had run into these problems. Noone does this apparently.
Get a (used) 7204VXr w/NPE-G1(G2) and save yourself this nightmare. This
is what we did afterwards.

Now that MX is going to have this functionality i suspect it wont be
useful atleast for another 12-24 months if they really iron out the
worst bugs. Bottom point...if you want something stable stay away (for
now).

Regards,
Jonas