[j-nsp] PIM SM RP issue

Stefan Fouant sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net
Wed Dec 15 16:45:18 EST 2010

If you recall from Multicast 101, initial communications from the router
connected to the Multicast source are unicast via an encapsulated PIM
Register Start message destined towards the RP.  The only time you need a
tunnel services card is if your Juniper router happens to be either the
router connected to the Multicast source (in which case it would be doing
PIM Encapsulation) or it happens to be the RP (in which case it would be
doing PIM Decapsulation).

This only happens for the first few packets until the native multicast state
is built between the RP and the Sourcing router, in which case the traffic
traverses the normal RP tree via multicast mechanisms.

Since your boxes are the RPs, they would need a PIC capable of handling
tunnel services - this could be a Tunnel Service PIC, an Adaptive Services
PIC, or a Multi-Services PIC.  If you happen to have an M7i or J-Series then
you likely have an integrated ASM module and don't need an additional PIC
for tunneling services.

HTHs.

Stefan Fouant, CISSP, JNCIEx2
www.shortestpathfirst.net