[j-nsp] Cisco 7206 replacement

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Dec 29 16:24:52 EST 2010

On Wednesday, December 29, 2010 06:33:04 am Keegan Holley
wrote:

> I'm not sure what you we're referring to here, but I
> assume you mean the additional features available in the
> cisco such as stateful firewall, etc. There is a
> difference there, but most NSP's don't use them.  There
> is also a severe performance hit since it's a software
> platform.

No, I'm not talking about those additional security
features, since most times I'm deploying an ASR1000 or a J-
series router, it's just for plain IP routing.

But that's just me...

> Really?  It seems strange that a software based platform
> would out perform a silicon based platform.  Where are
> did you get your info from?

The ASR1000 is hardware-based.

> This is interesting as well. I believe the larger slot
> chassis are hardware based I'm not sure about the
> performance gap, but I'm sure the cisco is cheaper.

All ASR1000 platforms are hardware-based.

> I suppose it depends on your needs.  Burning two slots in
> the MX in order to support TDM PICs isn't very appealing
> either.

My point exactly. Without a smaller offering from Juniper,
it's really hard not to consider the competition when you
need some TDM/SDH/SONET line cards in there.

Cheers,

Mark.