[j-nsp] VRF Leaking Without MPLS

Truman Boyes truman at suspicious.org
Tue Feb 2 13:08:28 EST 2010

On 3/02/2010, at 2:21 AM, Mike Kiefer wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance with Juniper gear. I have a problem that probably pretty easy to fix, but I'm not sure how to do it.
>
> I have a single M10i with multiple routing-instances. It's running what Cisco would call "vrf-lite", i.e. no MPLS. Every remote site has either multiple vlans/vrfs or PVCs/vrfs. Separate OSPF routing tables are maintained end to end.
>
> I want to leak routes from one instance into the other and vice-versa. I ran a test on Olives and used the next-table command on each of two routers. It worked. When I try to leak between both tables on one router using the next-table command, I get a next-table may loop error.
>
> What I would like to do is generate a default route within the native VRF via OSPF and have all of the route leaking happen on the M10i. The end nodes would use the native VRF and default route to make it back to the M10i. I don't want to provision a VRF/routing instance at the remote end just to do leaking.
>
> Is there a way to make this work with next-table statics without getting the "next-table may loop"?
>
> Should I abandon the whole next-table option and do something entirely different?
>
> I would appreciate some pointers, and maybe a quick little config snipet if possible.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Mike

I would recommend that you consider using virtual-router routing instances instead of VRFs if you are not using MPLS. You can create a RIB group for OSPF and import the default route into each table via RIB group import policy. You do not even need next-table, etc ... as you will actually copy the OSPF or interface routes between the tables.

Check out: http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos94/swconfig-routing/creating-routing-table-groups.html#id-10439786

Truman