[j-nsp] Diagnosing Policy Discards

Jimmy Stewpot mailers at oranged.to
Wed Feb 3 19:47:33 EST 2010

Hello,

I am working on an issue where we have some Policy Discards on an interface. I understand that Policy Discards are essentially anything that the Juniper does not understand. I guess this means things like HSRP etc. What I am interested to know is there a method to break down what those policy discards are? For example see a log of the packet type/protocol type etc?

Here is the output of the JunOS commands with a 1 second interval

show interfaces ge-3/3/0 extensive | match Policed
    Errors: 21, Drops: 0, Framing errors: 0, Runts: 0, Policed discards: 73485969, L3 incompletes: 21, L2 channel errors: 0,

show interfaces ge-3/3/0 extensive | match Policed
    Errors: 21, Drops: 0, Framing errors: 0, Runts: 0, Policed discards: 73485982, L3 incompletes: 21, L2 channel errors: 0,

show interfaces ge-3/3/0 extensive | match Policed
    Errors: 21, Drops: 0, Framing errors: 0, Runts: 0, Policed discards: 73485998, L3 incompletes: 21, L2 channel errors: 0,

I understand that its not fatal however its causing some monitoring abnormalities which we would like to get to the bottom of to clarify that there is nothing misconfigured etc on the network.

Any additional feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jimmy Stewpot.