[j-nsp] Peering with loopback

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Feb 4 14:25:55 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 09:57:03AM -0800, Bill Blackford wrote:
> I don't have the session live anymore but my recollection after looking in the syslog is that I was trying to peer up with the loopback address and getting errors that the interface of the local interconnect couldn't establish peer.
>
> As Harry Reynolds posted earlier,
>
> <snip>
> When lo0 peering, as long as both ends are active, you can get by with just one end correctly configured to use lo0 as source. Not so when neither end is.
> </snip>
>
> This explains why my C to J worked but the J to J did not.
>
> Thanks all. I will try this on my next window.

You may want to just configure system default-address-selection, which
makes outbound connection attempts default to using the loopback address
rather than the IP on the interface that the packet went out (like Cisco
does). This is usually "better" in all respects, and solves the IBGP
problem too (and without having to hard-code specific router IP
addresses in your IBGP groups).