[j-nsp] Olive for EX Switches and M Series with JunOS 10.0R2

Brandon Bennett bennetb at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 21:46:01 EST 2010

At this time!?  Try never.

Olive is NOT a JunOS or Juniper router emulator!  Olive is JunOS
running naively on standard x86 hardware without a PFE.  So you get
all control plane features but no forwarding plane features.  Good for
testing some BGP policy or OSPF config, but beyond that it won't do
much more like QoS, any services, etc.

Olive is not like dynamips/dynagen/gns3 in which real hardware is
emulated.  I am tired of people referring to that.

Since the EX is PowerPC based and all features are on the EX-PFEs you
won't see an "Olive" probably ever.

Now if you can just look right here at my men-in-black pen I need to
wipe your memories.  Remember... olive is just a fruit and tasty in a
dirty martini. *wink* *wink*

-Brandon