[j-nsp] Juniper EX-2500

Brandon Bennett bennetb at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 11:50:38 EST 2010

> Yes, this is a BNT switch. Juniper have zero plans to adapt this switch to run JunOS. In fact, as it stands, the EX2500 will have no L3 functionality (according to
> Juniper), whereas if you get this from BNT directly, you will see additional features. That, alongside the fact that JunOS has been licensed to BNT probably means that
> BNT will be doing the development on this switch and not Juniper in order for it to run JunOS if it ever does.
>
> This was initially OEM'd with a single customer in mind for a Low Latency environment as part of a much larger deal.

Rumor is that a Juniper designed and made 10G top of rack switch will
hit the streets soon.  It should run JunOS and have layer 3.   Rumor
also is that it will support stacking in the future.  So if you have
EX4200's now, you don't want to look at another vendor, and you can
wait a couple months that may be the best route.

If you cannot wait then I would look into the Arista.  It is a
incredible box and full access to Python APIs and really good
resiliency.

The EX2500 on the other hand is good if you have a good "discount"
relationship with Juniper which can make it dirt cheap compared to the
other.  Especially the Nexus 5k which has priced itself out of many
data centers.

-Brandon