[j-nsp] Dot1q trunking between 2 juniper EX3200 switches‏‏

Paul Waller wallerp_7 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 22 15:42:11 EST 2010

I've only just started managing these switches so I don't know why flow-control is off & mtu not set higher.  I'm assuming mtu should be higher to allow some overhead on the packet.  I have noticed that there are quite a few gaint frames in the network.

Also do I need to use the me0 interface for management of the switch for access ?

For a better view I've attached the configs of both switches.

Regards
Paul

> From: danno at appliedi.net
> To: wallerp_7 at hotmail.com; juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net
> Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:01:20 -0800
> Subject: RE: [j-nsp] (no subject)
>
> I think your setup is configured in a workable manner (with the exclusion of RVI's, but you were referring to strict switching anyway and not L3 termination).
>
> The example from production I'll give uses AE (Aggregated Ethernet links, or multiple ethernet links bonded together) to form the link between the two switches, which then pass vlans across the switched path. You could substitute this for a regular physical interface. As you see, with the exception of a few choices, our configurations are similar-
>

> =====
> Switch-a
> =====
>
> # show interfaces ae0
> description "nap-r14-pub-1 - vlan 3914 - ge/0/0/46-47";
> mtu 9216;
> aggregated-ether-options {
> link-speed 1g;
> lacp {
> active;
> }
> }
> unit 0 {
> family ethernet-switching {
> port-mode trunk;
> vlan {
> members [ 3914 3951 2102-2149 hvpubn14 hvclustmgmt2 2150-2320 2321-2349 ];
> }
> }
> }
>
> {master:1}[edit]
>
> =====
> Switch-b
> =====
>
> # show interfaces ae0
> mtu 9216;
> aggregated-ether-options {
> lacp {
> active;
> }
> }
> unit 0 {
> family ethernet-switching {
> port-mode trunk;
> vlan {
> members [ 3914 3951 2102-2149 hvpubn14 hvclustmgmt2 2150-2320 2321-2349 ];
> }
> }
> }
>
> [edit]
>

> 1) establish the unit0 subinterface as a trunk port
> 2) designate the vlan membership
> 3) be sure you've done this on both sides.
>
> I noticed in your setup you turned off flow-control. Is there a specific reason you did that? We run iSCSI sans for hundreds of VPS' and we leave it on (by default). Also, we run 9216 MTU for better performance on these links.
>

> Dan Farrell
> danno at appliedi.net

Link all your email accounts and social updates with Hotmail. Find out now
http://windowslive.ninemsn.com.au/oneinbox?ocid=T162MSN05A0710G