[j-nsp] Problems with T1 loopbacks

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Feb 26 11:41:29 EST 2010

When we turn up a new T1, the telco like to loop the CSU on each end to
test, so we have "remote-loopback-response" set in our interfaces
(channelized DS3 PIC in M10i).  However, we seem to have a regular
problem with getting the loop dropped once the telco is done.  They say
they've dropped it, but we still see "Loopback: Remote" in our
interface.  There appears to be no way for us to override this loop
either.

I don't know if the problem is with the telco not actually dropping the
loop when they think they have done so, or with our Juniper not dropping
the loop when the code stops.  The telco keeps poking at it, and
eventually the loop drops (but we never really know what happened to
clear it).

Has anyone else seen this?  Any ideas?

I've opened a case with Juniper, but we don't turn up new T1s all that
often anymore, and today's new T1 has cleared (so I'm not really going
to be able to diagnose it until there's another new T1).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>