[j-nsp] SYN/FIN ratio

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Sat Feb 27 11:34:33 EST 2010

Hi experts,

Could I ask someone to help me to get a piece of simple statistics. I'd
like to know ratio of numbers of TCP sessions closed normally and aged
out in some way in real-world Internet traffic.

A simple way to know this is to place a filter like the following to
catch the packets flowing to the Internet and then look at the counters.

filter count-tcp-flags {
     term SYN {
         from {
             tcp-flags syn;
         }
         then {
             count tcp-syn;
             accept;
         }
     }
     term FIN {
         from {
             tcp-flags fin;
         }
         then {
             count tcp-fin;
             accept;
         }
     }
     term RST {
         from {
             tcp-flags rst;
         }
         then {
             count tcp-rst;
             accept;
         }
     }
     term permit-any {
         then accept;
     }
}

Since each TCP session has one segment flagged SYN in each direction,
and one segment flagged FIN is needed to close a session, this seems to
be a good approximation. Sure, there cases when SYN doesn't mean a good
session and so on, but in high enough values is shouldn't matter a lot.

I tried to test it myself on a couple of enterprise edge routers,
forwarding just about 30 Mbps each, and got quite stable value of
FIN/SYN ratio — approx 90%. RST number is about 1.5% of SYNs.

I am afraid my environment is not representative enough to say it is
“almost always” so :)

If someone could share results of such a test, I would be very pleasant.

--
Kind regards,
Pavel