[j-nsp] KRT Queue issue (was: Re: bfd = busted failure detection :)

Richmond, Jeff Jeff.Richmond at frontiercorp.com
Thu Jan 7 13:29:19 EST 2010

David, thank you, much appreciated. Our biggest issue was on recovery times when using LS's and GRES/NSR. We don't use LS's in production, but at the time I only had a single MX960 in the lab to start testing with (along with other routers: M320s, M40e's, etc.). So, I carved it up a bit into a few LSs and that is when we started seeing extremely long recovery times during link and RE failure testing. Turns out it isn't really supported when using LS's (at least not in 9.5), but since we don't use them in production I hadn't really researched it ahead of time like I normally would. The other major issue we have had with 9.5R3.7 is with FRR or node/link-protection. We ran into this with a POC lab setup back in November and currently ATAC has it now in their lab and can reproduce it, but haven't figured out why the problem is happening. Basically when a failure occurs, the forwarding entry for the prefixes on the LSP are withdrawn and never readvertised, so instant blackhole. I am hoping to have another update by the end of the week that has more specifics on what is triggering the issue and the exact behavior. There is still a lot of confusion surrounding it, but it is good that they can see it, I suppose.

Thanks,
-Jeff