[j-nsp] JUNOS vulnerability with malformed TCP packets

Tim Eberhard xmin0s at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 14:49:00 EST 2010

Jonas,

Correct firewall filters *will* block it as the firewall filter will keep
the tcp port even responding. However if your router has a tcp port open to
a specific subnet IP's on that subnet will be able to exploit. In other
words there is no specific firewall filter that can be put in place to
completely protect the router from this attack (i.e. don't accept a tcp
packet with these flags).

Best practices are obviously to configure firewall filters to only allow
trusted networks to access the router via telnet/ssh/etc and only trusted
hosts to connect via BGP. If those are in place your router is much less
vulnerable. While it is a major issue it is one that should not be a problem
if you have your firewall filters locked down properly.

Just my 2 cents.

-Tim Eberhard