[j-nsp] JUNOS vulnerability with malformed TCP packets

Jonas Frey jf at probe-networks.de
Tue Jan 12 16:00:30 EST 2010

Hi,

i havent heard about any attacks in the wild, yet.

As i wrote...you cant protect yourself against this tcp bug.
(I dont think anyone out there has a box running with all ports closed
and is using only console to manage it...).
Once you run BGP, OSPF, SSH, FTP or whatever you are vulnerable even if
its firewalled. Spoofing does the trick.
You can use RPF to some extend...but you would have to trust your
upstream(s) that they also employ this everywhere....and their upstreams
and so on. Somewhere someone will probably not use RPF and spoofed
packets will make their way.

If you are running 7.6 upwards and your junos is released before jan
2009 you should upgrade/downgrade immediatly....thats the only real
solution.

Regards,
Jonas