[j-nsp] Loop-free Alternate Paths for IS-IS Routes

Stefan Fouant sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net
Wed Jan 13 01:48:11 EST 2010

I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience configuring the
loop-free alternate paths for IS-IS in JUNOS, as described in the following
drafts:

- Internet draft draft-ietf-rtgwg-ipfrr-spec-base-12.txt, Basic
Specification for IP Fast-Reroute: Loop-free Alternates
- Internet draft draft-ietf-rtgwg-ipfrr-framework-06.txt, IP Fast Reroute
Framework

And covered in
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos95/swconfig-routing/jd0e
44501.html#jd0e44501.

I'm looking for general guidance towards implementation, and any caveats
which might be experienced in a typical deployment.  It seems to me that
using this, we can entirely get rid of Fast Reroute, or Link/Node protection
within RSVP/MPLS, but perhaps my understanding is a bit off.

I'm also curious what experiences others have had with regards to
troubleshooting backup paths that might be established as a result of a
given failure.

Thanks in advance!

Stefan Fouant, CISSP, JNCIE-M/T
www.shortestpathfirst.net