[j-nsp] Routing between routing instance

Stefan Fouant sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net
Wed Jan 20 09:57:58 EST 2010

It's easy to put a default route inside a routing-instance:

set routing-instance InstanceA routing-options static route x.x.x.x/x
next-hop y.y.y.y

However, if the next-hop points to an interface which is not bound to the
InstanceA routing-instance you the route is not going to become active.
This is typically why you would configure a rib-group and configure your
interface-routes to be mirrored in the routing-instance and inet.0.  Or if
the interface is bound to inet.0 then you could simply create a default
route inside the InstanceA routing-instance and point it to a next-table of
inet.0.

Can you give us more specifics to what you are trying to accomplish?

Stefan Fouant, CISSP, JNCIE-M/T
www.shortestpathfirst.net
GPG Key ID: 0xB5E3803D