[j-nsp] IPv6

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Jan 23 11:23:32 EST 2010

On Saturday 23 January 2010 10:32:19 pm Dobbins, Roland
wrote:

> Juniper are largely ahead of other router vendors in
>  terms of IPv4/IPv6 feature parity and performance, IMHO.

I think the one that really caught us badly was when we
tried unit-independent policers so we can have bandwidth
management for v4 and v6 separately on a dual-stack link for
a customer.

That crashed the PFE, very nasty. JUNOS 9.3R2.8.

Later versions of code are fixed, though.

With this experience (and minor previous ones), my advice
would be not to automatically expect v6-based features to
work just like v4 ones, particularly if you run the risk of
leading to an outage.

Cheers,

Mark.