[j-nsp] IPv6

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Jan 24 20:35:04 EST 2010

On Monday 25 January 2010 08:00:05 am Richard A Steenbergen
wrote:

> ISIS multi-topology is IMHO the best combination of
>  avoiding unnecessary duplication of effort that comes
>  with a ships in the night OSPF config, while still
>  giving you the flexibility to run divergent topologies
>  when the proverbial #$%^& hits the fan and your Crisco
>  decides it no longer wants to forward IPv6 packets over
>  a particular interface (which has happened to us several
>  times over the years). The biggest annoyance is you have
>  to remember to set your isis ipv6 metric as well as your
>  regular interface metric (which defaults to ipv4-unicast
>  only in this environment), but it's nothing you can't
>  fix with a small commit script. We fired every piece of
>  routing gear which couldn't handle this and a few other
>  things reliably, which mostly only affected vendor F. :)

Is that Brocade of Force10 :-)? No experience with Force10,
so not even sure they do IS-IS or that sort of thing.

I have a couple of issues with Brocade re: their IS-IS
implementation in some of their edge platforms:

	- One can't set the CLNS MTU, which would normally be handy
	  to have when you suddenly get 3rd party links whose MTU
	  doesn't follow your standard; or worse, boxes that
	  implement MTU configurations strangely.

	- The IS-IS MTU is not inferred from the Ethernet interface
	  MTU. So just because your interface was set for 9,000
	  bytes, doesn't mean your IS-IS MTU will be based on that.

	- In point-to-point mode, the Priority is a non-zero value.
	  Different from IOS and JUNOS (it still works as desired,
	  but can wreak troubleshooting havoc for the NOC).

	- Setting the Loopback interface to 'passive' means
	  actually configuring IS-IS commands on said interface. A
	  bit counter-intuitive since a lot of their CLI is IOS-
	  like.

Cheers,

Mark.