[j-nsp] IPv6

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sun Jan 24 22:26:43 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 04:56:47PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> We just define our own policy to fake nexthop self:
> policy-statement set-nexthop-self {
>     term IPv4 {
>         from family inet;
>         then {
>             next-hop self;
>         }
>     }
>     term IPv6 {
>         from family inet6;
>         then {
>             next-hop (IPv6 loopback address);
>         }
>     }
> }
>
> We've had no problems with doing this in our iBGP mesh which is
> dual-stack over IPv4.

That works too, except now you have a hardcoded loopback v6 address
which is unique per router stuck in a policy-statement somewhere, just
begging to be forgotten about some day. It's a commit scriptable fix,
but for every great "well that solved my problem without having to wait
for Juniper to fix it properly" moment there is a "man I just slowed
down my commit by another second each and every time I make a change,
all for a feature that that really should have been there in the first
place" moment. The proper fix would be either a "next-hop interface
lo0.0" option in the policy-statement, and/or a "neighbor x.x.x.x
update-source lo0.0" command to set what "self" means for a particular
neighbor (which is the way Cisco does it).